This post includes affiliate links.
This is a free tutorial for the Bean crochet stitch. The tutorial has both photos and videos.
Who could argue – the bean stitch looks just like little beans scattered across the surface of the project. The little beans pop up out of the surface slanting this way and that. They provide a symmetry to the piece while simultaneously creating an intricate texture and 3-D effect. This beautiful design adds a seemingly complex level of detail to the any project that is sure to catch the attention of anyone admiring it.
If you would like to learn incorporate this eye-catching 3-D effect in your next project, please continue to read below for the simple step-by-step tutorial.
This is a very detailed step-by-step bean stitch crochet photo and video tutorial. The bean stitch has been requested for a very long time and I am now finally able to teach you this amazing textured easy crochet stitch. Unfortunately, the Bean Stitch is not very well known, although I believe it should be.
What is the bean stitch?
The bean stitch is crocheted in an angle and very much resembles a puff stitch. It has a 3-D texture, is not flat, but rather more dense with lots of texture. It’s a great stitch to show some special detail in your crochet.
Its amazing texture and fluffiness provides a great foundation for a blanket, hat, scarf or even a washcloth. Furthermore, I used the Bean Stitch last year for my Everyday Bean Beanie and did not get a chance to provide a tutorial with it. Well, now you can finally make this beanie in case you have not had a chance.
In fact, I used a silky yarn to crochet the bean stitch swatch. That yarn is not available anymore. But I found this beautiful substitution for it. This Alpaca Blended Upcycled Yarn is perfect for this stitch. Silky and so soft, it will make this stitch stand out nicely.
Alright, so let me now teach you how this beautiful bean stitch crochet pattern works. I have below, first, a photo tutorial for the bean stitch. Right after, you can also find the video tutorial for the Bean Stitch.
Don’t forget to check out all my other Crochet Stitch Tutorials. I have a lot of popular and unique ones.
How do you crochet a Bean stitch?
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here:
How to crochet the Bean Stitch Crochet- Photo Tutorial
1. First, make a chain in the length you desire that ends with an odd number. Next, insert your hook into the 3rd ch from the hook and pull up a loop.
2. Next, yarn over and insert the hook into the same ch and pull up a loop again. You have now 4 chains on your hook.
3. One more time, yarn over and then insert your hook into the same chain and pull up a loop. You now have 6 loops on your hook.
4. To finish the Bean Stitch, yarn over and pull through all 6 loops. You’ve made your first Bean Stitch.
5. Now, chain one and skip one chain space and crochet your next bean stitch into the next chain. At the end of the row, chain two and turn.
6. You will now crochet the next row of bean stitches. The first bean stitch will be in the first stitch which you can easily see because it has a little gap right above the last bean stitch from the row before.
7. Repeat the sequence of crochet bean stitches followed with a chain of one and a skipped stitch until the end of the row. Then repeat the same for the following rows until you are finished with your project.
7. You can now see that the bean stitch creates this beautiful texture where the bean stitches are turned to the opposite direction after every row.
I hope this bean stitch crochet photo tutorial was helpful. If you feel like you need a more visual presentation, then please watch the video tutorial above
Be sure to share the Bean stitch crochet tutorial as a link with the world on social media using the buttons above or below this stitch tutorial. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for sharing.