This post includes affiliate links.
This tutorial will teach you how to crochet one of the most basic crochet stitches which is known as the double crochet. It is abbreviated as DC. You will also learn how to increase and decrease with the double crochet in this Photo and Video Tutorial.
If you have never crocheted any stitch before, be sure to check out my tutorial two of the most basic crochet stitches known as the single crochet and half double crochet. You will find these tutorials very helpful if you are just starting out to learn how to crochet.
This is very detailed and made for a beginner and therefore very easily understandable. Ideally, you would watch the video tutorial first (below) and then reference the picture tutorial to solidify your new gained knowledge. Be sure to practice this stitch a lot as most patterns use this stitch.
In addition, I have also created a Linked Double Crochet tutorial in case you do not like those gaps between the stitches.
The Double Crochet Tutorial is part of a “How to Crochet Beginner Guide Series”. You can find all of the Basic Crochet Stitches in my Basic Crochet 101 page.
How to Crochet a Double Crochet
A full video tutorial can be found below as well, in case the picture tutorial is not as clear for you.
1. First, create a chain (abbreviated as CH) of the length that you wish or is needed for a specific crochet pattern.
2. Skip the first 2 chains (sometimes you might need to skip 3 chains for double crochets if the chains are counted as a stitch). Now wrap your hook around your yarn once and insert your hook into the third chain from the hook.
3. Yarn over (abbreviated as YO) with your hook again and pull through 2 loops (not 3!). Now yarn over again.
4. And pull the just yarned over yarn through the last 2 loops on your hook. You now made your first double crochet.
5. Next, by going into the next chain (no skipping of any chains), yarn over and then repeat steps 2 to 4. Below you can see I crocheted 4 double crochets. One double crochet into each chain.
How to Crochet a Double Crochet Increase
1. In order to crochet a double crochet increase which is abbreviated as DC INC, you will crochet two double crochets into the same chain (or stitch = st). Sometimes, you might have to crochet more than one stitch into the same chain (or stitch) which is then called a cluster.
How to Crochet a Double Crochet Decrease
1. In order to crochet a double crochet decrease which is abbreviated as DC DEC (or double crochet together = dc tog) you will need to create unfinished double crochets into at least 2 chains (sometimes more, but a pattern would mention that). That means, you will wrap your yarn once around your hook and then insert your hook into a chain or stitch and yarn over and pull a loop through. Next, yarn over again and pull thru 2 loops. Stop here now. You will have now 2 loops on your hook.
2. Now instead of finishing that double crochet, you will repeat that same process with the next chain or stitch (yarn over and then insert the hook, yarn over again and pull a loop through, yarn over again and pull thru 2 loops). You will now have 3 loops on your hook. Yarn over.
3. And then pull through all 3 loops. You can have created a double crochet decrease. You reduced the number of stitches from 2 to 1 when crocheting one decrease.
How to crochet the Double Crochet – Video Tutorial
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here:
Be sure to share this pattern as a link with the world on social media using the buttons above or below this pattern. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for sharing.