This post includes affiliate links.
Here I will teach how to crochet one of the most basic crochet stitches which is known as the treble crochet. It is abbreviated as TR. You will also learn how to increase and decrease with the treble crochet in this Photo and Video Tutorial.
In case you never crocheted any stitch before be sure to check out my tutorial two of the most basic crochet stitches known as the single crochet, half double crochet and double crochet. These tutorials are all designed and created such that any beginner will have no problems learning these stitches.
This is a very detailed tutorial and made for a beginner and therefore very easily understandable. Ideally, you would watch the video tutorial first (below) and then reference the picture tutorial to solidify your new gained knowledge. Be sure to practice this stitch a lot as most patterns use this stitch.
Furthermore, I also have a tutorial for the Linked Treble Crochet Stitch which you should also check out as that stitch prevents the large gaps between the stitches.
The Treble Crochet Tutorial is part of a “How to Crochet Beginner Guide Series”. You can find all of the Basic Crochet Stitches in my Basic Crochet 101 page.
How to Crochet a Treble Crochet
A full video tutorial can be found below as well, in case the picture tutorial is not as clear for you.
1. First, create a chain (abbreviated as CH) of the length that you wish or is needed for a specific crochet pattern. Now wrap your hook around your yarn twice as shown in the picture.
2. Skip the first 3 chains (sometimes you might need to skip 4 chains for treble crochets if the chains are counted as a stitch). And now insert your hook into the fourth chain from the hook. Yarn over (abbreviated as YO) with your hook again.
3. Now pull the yarned over yarn loop through 2 loops and now yarn over again.
4. Now pull the yarned over yarn loop through the next 2 loops and now yarn over again.. You now made your first double crochet.
5. Now pull the yarned over yarn loop through the last 2 loops. You now made your first treble crochet.
6. Next, by going into the next chain (no skipping of any chains), yarn over twice and then repeat steps 2 to 5. Below you can see I crocheted 4 treble crochets. One treble crochet into each chain.
How to Crochet a Treble Crochet Increase
1. In order to crochet a treble crochet increase which is abbreviated as TR INC, you will crochet two treble crochets into the same chain (or stitch = st). Sometimes, you might have to crochet more than one stitch into the same chain (or stitch) which is then called a cluster.
How to Crochet a Treble Crochet Decrease
1. In order to crochet a treble crochet decrease which is abbreviated as TR DEC (or treble crochet together = tr tog) you will need to create unfinished treble crochets into at least 2 chains (sometimes more, but a pattern would mention that). That means, you will wrap your yarn twice around your hook and then insert your hook into a chain or stitch and yarn over and pull a loop through. Next, yarn over again and pull thru 2 loops, and then again, yarn over and pull thru 2 loops. Stop here now. You will have now 2 loops on your hook.
2. Now instead of finishing that double crochet, you will repeat that same process with the next chain or stitch (yarn over and then insert the hook, yarn over again and pull a loop through, yarn over again and pull thru 2 loops, yarn over again and pull thru 2 loops). You will now have 3 loops on your hook. Yarn over.
3. And then pull through all 3 loops. You can have created a treble crochet decrease. You reduced the number of stitches from 2 to 1 when crocheting one decrease.
How to crochet the Treble Crochet – Video Tutorial
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here:
Be sure to share this pattern as a link with the world on social media using the buttons above or below this pattern. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for sharing.