This post includes affiliate links.
This free pattern is called the Summer Picot Head Kerchief, because it is perfect for the summer as it is light weight, but it also has a pretty picot border around. And of course, one can use it in spring and fall, too. 🙂
Do you need a yarn storage bag, but you don’t want to buy one? Then make yourself one with this free crochet pattern called the Multipurpose Crochet Bag. Get the pattern HERE.
The Summer Picot Head Kerchief was designed in a way that it can be easily made bigger or smaller as one needs it to be. Furthermore, this pattern is fast and easy to make and for whom ever has never done the picot stitch, I specifically added a video showing how to do it for this pattern.
So let me now show you how to do this wonderfully pretty free crochet pattern!
You will need:
3 hdc x 2 rows = 1 square inch
18 inches across (without measuring the straps) and 11.5 inches long
Row 1: Ch 4, 1 hdc in the 2nd chain from the hook and in the last 2 sts, Ch 1, turn
Row 2-31: 2 hdc in the first st, 1 hdc in each st until the last st where you will place 2 hdc again, Ch 1, turn
In order to make it smaller or larger, crochet either 2 rows more or less, making sure to stop on an odd number of rows so that the picot border will not be shifted. You would be adding or subtracting one or more of the 2 sc plus picot stitch repeat from the border that is explained below.
On the last row, you will have 63 sts across, do not turn at the end of the last row.
Now you will continue on all around the triangle to create the straps and the picot border as well as one more last row of single crochet.
- ch 41, 1 sc in the 2nd ch from the hook and in the rest of the 39 chains
- Picot border: you will now work your way down the first side towards the tip of the triangle and then work the other way up again before making another tie-off band. The picots are always made into the larger of the 2 types of “holes”. For this part I would HIGHLY recommend you watching the video below as that shows exactly how to do it step by step, as this might be confusing for some.
- 1 sc in the next 2 sts (one in the smaller hole (thin arrow) one in the larger hole (thick arrow)), make a picot (where the thicker arrow points), *1 sc in the next 2 sts, picot, repeat from * until you have made 15 picots, then crochet 1sc in the same st, 1 sc in next st, 1 picot, 2 sc in the next st, 1 picot, **1 sc in the next 2 sts, 1 picot, repeat from ** for 14 more picots, 1 sc in the next 2 sts
- ch 41, 1 sc in the 2nd ch form the hook and in the rest of the 39 chains
- 1 sc in every st on the last side of the triangle until you reach the first strap again, sl st, fasten off and weave in the ends.
Now you are done with the pattern and you can enjoy wearing it. You can sell the creation made from the pattern, but never the pattern itself. Always credit back to me and my blog for the pattern. Thank you!
This video below will show you how to crochet the picot border for the Summer Picot Head Kerchief.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here: