This post includes affiliate links.
The Crochet Flower Basket is a free crochet pattern. The beautiful flower motifs make it perfect for use as decoration or storage.
The basket sat in an inconspicuous corner. Bright flowers decorated its sides. She smiled. The sight of the cheery flowers always reminded her of spring, her favorite season. She sighed, looking out the window at the weather mess. The weather outside was, as a song once proclaimed, frightful. It was not weather for going out, not today. At least she had a nice reminder of spring, which was soon to come.
Enjoy the sight of spring year-round with this lovely flower basket. This versatile basket has a variety of uses for any household.
Table of contents
- Crochet Flower Basket Makes Perfect Home Decor
- How to make your crochet flower basket sturdy?
- Get the crochet Flower Basket PDF Pattern
- Free Crochet Pattern Material List
- Stitches used (US terms)
- Crochet Flower Basket Pattern Instructions
- Video tutorial for the Extended Single Crochet stitch
- Add Flowers to Basket – Video Tutorial
Crochet Flower Basket Makes Perfect Home Decor
With spring just around the corner, it is time to think about flowers. So, I created this beautiful and easy to make Flower Basket, that can also be used as a bag.
The flowers are added last, having the flowers (without the stem and leaves) being removable as they are attached using a button. So you can change them out to other flowers when you need a change. So cool:-)
How to make your crochet flower basket sturdy?
It is to note that the basket will not stand up on its own. Which seems to be well known in the crochet community that that can be an issue. So, here are some solutions that help with that:
- stuff it with yarn or storage items, which makes it stand up
- use liquid starch to stiff the yarn
- use a much smaller hook, but be careful as it can be very hurtful on your arms, hands and shoulders as that will make the stitches tighter, but helping it stand up
- you can use t-shirt yarn as that yarn is stiffer and will help the basket stand up
- use the basket as a bag for groceries, errands, etc
Get the crochet Flower Basket PDF Pattern
So, let me now give you the supplies you need in order to crochet this handy pattern.
This pattern is also available as an ad-free, printer-friendly pdf pattern that can be purchased at the links below for only a small fee.
If you like this flower basket you might also like these:
- 10 Free Cheerful Crochet Flower Patterns
- Flower Shoulder Bag
- T-shirt Yarn Basket
- One Skein T-shirt Yarn Basket
Free Crochet Pattern Material List
- Lion Brand Hometown USA Yarn (click to purchase at JoAnn’s, affiliate) in colors: 1 skein of Portland wine (color A), 1 skein of Oklahoma City green (color B), 1 skein of San Diego navy (color C), 1 skein (not used a lot though) of Tampa spice (color D), 2 skeins of Pittsburgh Yellow (color E)
- small amount of Caron Simply Soft yarn (click to purchase at JoAnn’s, affiliate) in color yellow to attach the buttons to the basket (color F)
- 9.0mm hook (or smaller if you would like the bag to be stiffer)
- buttons which are about 1 inch in diameter, but you can use different sizes also (amount equals the amount of flowers you would like to have)
- tapestry needle (for the Caron yarn/worsted weighted)
- yarn needle (for the super bulky yarn)
- stitch marker
Stitches used (US terms)
Click stitch for a video tutorial, ones marked in BOLD can be found on the bottom of this pattern.
- esc in blo
- ESC (EXTENDED SINGLE CROCHET)
- FLOWER: uses surface crochet and making a flower and making a leaf
absolutely not important YAY
Crochet Flower Basket Pattern Instructions
Crocheting the Basket
Start with color A
magic ring, place 6 sc inside and then close the ring, sl st to first st (6 sts)
Ch 1, 2 sc in each st all around, sl st to the first st (12 sts)
Ch 1, *2 sc same st, 1 sc in the next st, repeat from * all around, sl st to the first st (18 sts)
Chain 1, *2 sc same st, 1 sc in the next 2 sts, repeat from * all around, sl st to the first st (24 sts)
Ch 1, *2 sc same st, 1 sc in the next 3 sts, repeat from * all around, sl st to the first st (30 sts)
Ch 1, *2 sc same st, 1 sc in the next 4 sts, repeat from * all around, sl st to the first st (36 sts)
Chain 1, *2 sc same st, 1 sc in the next 5 sts, repeat from * all around, sl st to the first st (42 sts)
Ch 1, *2 sc same st, 1 sc in the next 6 sts, repeat from * all around, sl st to the first st (48 sts)
Ch 1, *2 sc same st, 1 sc in the next 7 sts, repeat from * all around, sl st to the first st (52 sts)
Chain 1, *2 sc same st, 1 sc in the next 8 sts, repeat from * all around, sl st to the first st (60 sts)
Color changes while crocheting
NOW you will start doing continuous rounds, no more sl sts until the basket is done, be sure to use a STITCH MARKER: Ch 1, 1 ESC in BLO all around for one round only, do not sl st now, but on the last stitch change colors to color B
- 1 ESC in every stitch for 4 rounds
Change to color E
- 1 ESC in every stitch for 14 rounds
Change to color C
- 1 ESC in every stitch for 5 rounds
- 1 ESC in the next 10 sts, then make a Ch of 10, sk 10 stitches, 1 ESC in the next 20 sts, then make a Ch of 10, sk 10 stitches, 1 ESC in the next 10 sts (the chain you created will be the handles)
- work 1 sc in the next 10 sts, then crochet 10 sc onto the Ch of 10 created in the previous round, 1 sc in the next 20 sts, then crochet 10 sc onto the Ch of 10 created in the previous round, 1 sc in the next 10 sts, sl st and fasten off and weave in the ends
You finished the basket/bag now.
Now you will add the flowers with one stem and one leaf per flower (feel free to add more or less flowers, I made 6 in total) and using one button per flower as well.
My buttons were either orange or yellow and I made 3 flowers in the colors A and D each. In order to understand it better, be sure to watch the video below for a better view and a more detailed explanation on how to create the flowers.
The stem of the crochet flower
- using color B and the surface crochet stitch crochet the stem onto the basket in the preferred location. Fasten off and weave in the ends.
Crocheting the Leaves
- using color B and the surface crochet stitch crochet just the middle line (midrib) of the leaf, then cut the yarn long. Now sew the side lines (veins) using a yarn needle. Fasten off and weave in the ends.
Pistel of the flower (button)
- sew on the button to the basket where the flower will be using color F
Crochet Flower petals
- Ch 4 (or 5 if the button is bigger), sl st to the first ch to make a ring
- *Ch 3 (or 4 for bigger pedals), sl st to the ring, repeat from * a total of 5 times for 5 pedals
- *sl st to a loop (no the center loop) for a pedal, 3 hdc, sl st, sl st to the next pedal, repeat from * for all the pedals. When finished sl st to the back, fasten off and weave in the ends
- attach the flower to the button
You are now done with your free crochet flower basket pattern. I hope you like it! 🙂
Video tutorial for the Extended Single Crochet stitch
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here
Add Flowers to Basket – Video Tutorial
I really hope you love this pattern as much as I do. Why not pin it to your Pinterest Board so you can come back to it when you need to! Use the social media share buttons to let your crafty friends know about this article.
If you would like to learn this and many more fun techniques, join me in The Crochet Club! It is a membership-only club where I teach how to crochet different stitches and patterns. You will also get access to all my PDF crochet patterns.